Beside the exhibition, the Festival offers a large number of side events, which put ZWGW alongside the most important European and international festivals of this kind. The aim is to give local visitors the opportunity to enjoy the best wines in the world, find out about the latest trends in gastronomy, and take part in interesting discussions with Croatian and international experts. Moreover, each year we give our best to present the exhibitors’ products at numerous B2B workshops and tastings to foreign guests, who are regularly the most prominent experts in their fields, and whom we bring to Zagreb just for the occasion.
During the three days of ZWGW 2012, many workshops, tastings and other events were held, marked by world-class quality. Just to list a few of them:
• 20 masterclass and guided workshops, seven lectures and panel discussions
• Tasting of Chateau Plamera wines, from one of the most respected Bordeaux wineries
• Vintage tasting of Graham’s, the most prestigious port brand, hosted by its owner, Dominic Symington
• Tasting of Billecart-Salmon champagnes, hosted by Denis Roland-Billecart
• Two tastings hosted by MWs (Master of Wine – the most prestigious title among wine experts, held by 300 people in the world) Lynne Sherriff and Isabelle Legeron
• Two premium tastings of Californian wines from the famous wineries Grgich Hills and Ridge
• Craljenak Kaštelanski – Zinfandel – Primitivo tasting and panel discussion, to mark the 10th anniversary of the discovery of genetic relationship between these three grape varieties
• Twitter tasting, during which well-known international bloggers simultaneously tried three same wines at three different locations (Zagreb, New York, San Francisco), and shared their experience via Twitter with the audience in the theater in Zagreb
• 10 exclusive closed workshops with local and foreign chefs at the Wine & Gastro Academy
• Performance by the famous Norwegian culinary group Flying Culinery Circus held at Mano restaurant
• Film festival featuring eight films, in Centar Kaptol movie theater, including the pre-opening night of Croatian Television’s documentary film “Kao stara loza” (“Like Old Vine”), following the story of Miljenko Grgić’s life.
Alongside all key protagonists of the Croatian food and wine scene, we are proud of bringing many prominent foreign guests to Zagreb in 2012.